The Malta Football Association has denied claims made by the Malta Football Players Association that the local governing body should have established “comprehensive and sustainable protocols addressing various possible scenarios”.
The MFA said that since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic they were pro-active in assessing various scenarios, constantly communicating with all the stakeholders, and drawing up medical protocols and guidelines accordingly.
“The Malta FA had not only presented a detailed health protocol for the potential resumption of football competitions in the early months of the pandemic but prepared an updated COVID-19 health protocol and guidelines that have been duly communicated to the clubs.
“In addition to the recommendations and guidelines on the return-to-competition adopted by SportMalta in consultation with the local health authorities with whom the Malta FA has been in regular contact,” the local governing body of football said in a statement.
“Furthermore, the association has set up a COVID-19 consultative panel, which also comprises representatives of the Government, to continue addressing the evolving circumstances and challenges caused by COVID-19, always prioritising the health and wellbeing of players and all those involved in football.
“The Malta FA has recently extended its call to the health authorities to ensure that adequate measures are introduced and coherent directives issued for the resumption of football activities.”
The MFA said that the MFPA also intimated that it “submitted its medical protocol recommendations back in May” but in truth they had only shared the FIFPro guidelines which are mainly intended for full professional leagues but clearly don’t take into consideration the complexities and specificities of Maltese football.
“Challenging and unprecedented times like these call for collaboration and co-operation from all the stakeholders rather than finger-pointing,” the MFA concluded.
World Cup News
World Cup hosts Qatar announced Friday that national coach Felix Sanchez had been let...
French Sports Minister Amelie Oudea-Castera on Friday accused Argentine players of being “inelegant winners”...