Connect with us


Għajnsielem, Nadur share the spoils in top match in GFA Division One

Nadur Youngsters and Għajnsielem dropped their first points in the GFA Division One after they cancelled each other in a 1-1 draw at the Gozo Stadium last weekend.

The match turned out to be a hard-fought encounter between two teams who had won their opening fixture of the season and battled hard for the three points until the final whistle.

Għajnsielem seemed more motivated and held command of play but Nadur managed to contain their opponents and were often dangerous with swift counter attacks.

The Blacks created some good scoring opportunities during the opening stages but Nadur were the better side late in the first half.

In fact, they took the lead two minutes from half-time when Ederson was teed up by Jorge Santos Silva and the Brazilian hit a low drive that rolled into the back of the net.

After the break, Għajnsielem came out determined to get back into the match and levelled the score on 57 minutes courtesy of a free-kick by Igor Nedeljkovic that was deflected into the net by a defender.

The match could have gone either way for the rest of the encounter but in the end Nadur goakeeper Steve Sultana saved the result for the Youngsters when he blocked attempts by substitute Johnny Camilleri and Jhon Arboleda Valencia.

In the other top-flight match played last weekend, Sannat Lions obtained the three points following a 3-0 win over Xagħra United.

This was a match between two sides who were in search of their first points after losing their opening two matches.

However, Sannat dominated their opponents throughout the 90 minutes and the win could have been with a bigger margin. 

Sannat took the lead on 19 minutes through a low shot by Joseph Zammit following a prolonged action inside Xagħra’s area.

The Lions sealed the points when they scored two more goals after the break through Fabian Xuereb (57) and Damon Hili (60).

GFA Division Two

Qala Saints made it two wins out of two when they saw off St Lawrence Spurs 3-0 to go top of the Division Two standings.

As expected, Qala dictated matters for long stretches but only managed to open the score seconds from half time through Ebube Ralph Okpokwu. 

Okpokwu added two more goals after the break, on 64 and 80 minutes, to notch his second successive hat-trick and seal the points for his team.

Meanwhile, Żebbuġ Rovers had an excellent start to life in the second division as they earned the full points against Munxar Falcons when they prevailed by the odd goal in three.

Play remained balanced and the outcome of the encounter remained uncertain until the end. 

Żebbug took the lead on 22 minutes froma penalty scored by Bartomeu Perello Palou.

But Munxar levelled the score eight minutes from half-time through a header by Steve Dimech. 

Dimech could have put his side ahead midway through the second period but his goal was disallowed for an offside infringement. 

Żebbuġ scored the winner on 79 minutes when substitute Lucas Farrugia headed the ball into the net.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four × 4 =


World Cup News


More in Football

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com