The Malta Football Association protest board have dismissed Sirens complaint against the result of their Premier League match against Valletta on ‘procedural grounds’, the local governing body of football announced.
The St Paul’s Bay side lost to Valletta on Sunday 1-0 but on Monday had filed a complaint in front of the Malta FA as they contended that Serbian defender Ivan Maric was ineligible to play in the match, due to COVID-19 issues.
Sources have told The Times of Malta that Sirens are contending that Maric arrived in Malta on February 6 from Serbia and according to COVID-19 regulations set by the Maltese Public Health Authorities, he should have observed a 15-day mandatory quarantine.
Instead, Maric has featured for Valletta in Sunday’s league match against Sirens, after he had already made his debut in the FA Trophy win over Gudja United a few days earlier.
However, the Times of Malta can confirm that the protest was not heard in front of the Protest Board as it was filed late than the regulations stipulate.
A team can file a complaint 24 hours after the kick-off time of the match and Sirens presented their case after the stipulated time.
“Reference is made to the protest filed by Sirens FC in relation to their BOV Premier League match against Valletta FC, played at the Centenary Stadium on 14th February, 2021,” the Malta FA said in a statement.
“The protest lodged by Sirens FC has been deemed inadmissible on procedural grounds.”