The Malta Football Association is still awaiting a response from the Public Health on when domestic football clubs can return to full training ahead of a possible resumption of national competitions this season.
The Premier League and the Challenge League were brought to a halt last month when the government, in conjunction with the Health authorities issued a Legal Notice that banned all organised sport until April 12.
During the last few weeks, the Malta FA has been in touch with the health authorities over a possible exemption to football clubs to resume training earlier than the April 11 deadline set by the authorities.
However, during the associations’ Executive Meeting, which was held on Thursday, the MFA president said that so far, they have not received any indication on the matter.
It is understood that the Malta FA is hoping to receive a clear direction by the Public Health by early next week.
The Times of Malta can confirm that clubs in both the Premier League and the Challenge League have made it clear that if clubs cannot return to training by April 12 then this year’s 2020-21 season will not resume.
In the meantime, sources have told The Times of Malta that the MFA have continued its planning for a return to competitive football this season.
In fact, during Thursday’s Executive Meeting, the local governing body of football have presented to the participants two fixtures list, one if clubs return to training on Monday and another if full training resumes on April 12.
If clubs return to training next week, the first MatchDay on resumption will be on April 26 while if clubs return a week later matches will resume on May 1.