Spectators who received booster dose will return to stadia on January 17
No spectators will be allowed in any sporting events as from next Monday, Health Minister Chris Fearne announced in a press conference on Thursday.
Spectators will be allowed to return to sports stadia as from January 17 but only if they will be in possession of a COVID-19 certificate that shows that they had taken the booster dose.
The decision was made by the Health Authorities following a dramatic rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in Malta in recent months, with the first cases of Omicron variant confirmed by Dr Fearne.
During his news briefing, the Health Minister said that all sporting events will continue to be held but behind closed doors, with no spectators permitted in the sporting venues.
This decision, which is valid for the next three weeks, means a return to the restrictions that were imposed on the sporting fraternity earlier this year where all federations that were given the green light by the Health Authorities and SportMalta to host their competitions, held their competitions behind closed doors.
The Health Authorities decision means that all football competitions, organised by the Malta FA, namely the Premier League, the Challenge League, the National Amateur League, and the women’s league will continue to be held but without fans present.
The same restrictions apply to other major sporting events such as basketball competitions, horse racing, handball, waterpolo, swimming, tennis, and rugby union.
Sporting events will again welcome back fans from January 17, but only those who have taken the booster dose will be permitted to enter as authorities look to step up their drive to have all the population vaccinated with the booster.
In reaction to the news, the South End Core expressed their disappointment that the fans were being denied access to the stadia despite the fact that there was never a confirmation of any COVID-19 cases from football grounds.
“We have once again being stopped from attending to football matches that will start as from the first week of January where since the stadiums were reopened there was never any confirmation of COVID-19 transmission,” the South End Core said.
World Cup News
Football/ 1 week ago
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...
Football/ 1 week ago
Update: World Cup 2026 to feature 12 groups of four teams
The expanded 2026 men’s World Cup in North America will start with 12 groups...
Football/ 2 weeks ago
Argentina goalie auctions World Cup gloves for $45K for cancer hospital
The gloves worn by Argentina goalkeeper Emiliano “Dibu” Martinez in the nail-biting penalty shootout...
Football/ 2 months ago
Messi says World Cup trophy ‘called out’ to him
Lionel Messi won the World Cup because the sparkling solid gold trophy picked him...