The Malta Football Association has announced that a final decision on whether to accept a request made by the Malta Professional Football Clubs Association to delay the restart of the BOV Premier League to January 17 will be made in the coming days.
The majority of the Premier League clubs are currently experiencing a huge struggle due to a huge rise in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks.
With several clubs having the majority of their first-team squad as well as members of their technical staff in isolation, they are facing a huge fight on their hands to be able to field a team when the championship was expected to resume following the Christmas recess on January 8.
Earlier this week, the newly-formed Malta Professional Football Clubs Association, which is formed by the presidents from all 12 top-flight clubs, discussed the issue and the majority of the members were in favour to put forward a request to the MFA to delay the championship restart by two weeks.
Members of the Malta FA Executive Committee met with all the 12 presidents of the Premier League on Thursday afternoon to discuss the issue proposed by the Premier League clubs.
In a statement, the Malta FA said that during the meeting the clubs were given a snapshot of current cases as well as related factors related to competition planning, organisational and medical matters.
“The Malta Football Association has today convened the BOV Premier League clubs to discuss the current situation in relation to Covid-19 cases impacting the division, following a request it received yesterday to consider delaying the resumption of the League by two weeks,” the Malta Football Association said in a statement.
“Clubs were given a snapshot of current cases as well as related factors related to competition planning, organisational and medical matters. The Association’s Medical Director, Dr Kirill Micallef Stafrace, also intervened.
“Any decisions on the running of competitions can be taken by the Malta FA’s Executive Board, expected to be convened in the coming days.
“The Association and its Member Clubs have welcomed the recently announced reduction in the number of days of quarantine for persons who took the vaccination booster.”
It is understood that the Malta FA Executive Committee is expected to discuss the matter on Monday.