Marsa FC have announced that the club’s committee have tendered their resignation en bloc following a number of sanctions that have hit the Challenge League club’s promotion bid.
Earlier this month, the Malta Football Association have decided to dock Marsa FC two points after their goalkeeper Dorian Bugeja was handed a three-year ban after was found guilty of assaulting assistant referee Mitchell Scerri during the club’s 2-1 defeat to Pietá Hotspurs.
The penalty have all but jeopardised the club’s hopes of promotion as they slipped to fourth place in the standings on 33 points, three adrift of the second-placed Hotspurs. The top two teams from the division are promoted to the Premier League.
“After internal discussions that were held by the Marsa FC committee it was decided that the committee should resign en bloc,” the club said in a statement.
“This decision has been taken because of two reasons. The first was the sanction imposed on our club from the Malta Football Association, where two points were docked for an offence committed by a first-team player.
“The other reason is because of the loss of investment this season which we have been promised by certain sponsors that never materialised. One has to note, that this responsibility was on president Francesco Rugeri and a number of persons that he appointed.
“It has to be noted that certain members of the committee will continue to conduct their responsibilities so that the team will continue to be supported. This will mean that some members of the committee will continue their work for the good of Marsa FC.
“In the coming days, we will be working along the newly-formed committee so that the clubs’ problems this season will be solved and we start to prepare for next season.”
World Cup News
Football/ 3 weeks ago
World Cup 2026 teams to be based in ‘clusters’: Infantino
Teams at the expanded 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico...
Football/ 1 month ago
Qatar spends big to beat post-World Cup blues
Months after hundreds of thousands of football fans packed into its hotels and stadiums,...
Football/ 2 months ago
US, Mexico to jointly bid for 2027 Women’s World Cup
The United States and Mexico will bid to co-host the 2027 Women’s World Cup,...
Football/ 3 months ago
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...