Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges was charged with domestic violence and child abuse over allegations he assaulted his wife in front of their two children, prosecutors said Tuesday.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said Bridges, 24, has been charged with one count of injuring a child’s parent and two counts of child abuse under circumstances likely to cause great bodily injury or death.”
“Children who witness family violence are especially vulnerable and the impact on them is immeasurable,” District Attorney George Gascon said. “Mr. Bridges will be held accountable for his actions and our Bureau of Victim Services will support the survivors through this difficult process.”
Bridges, 24, turned himself in to authorities on June 29 after incidents the prosecutors said took place “on or about June 27 and 28.”
After he had been released on a $130,000 bond, his wife, Mychelle Johnson, posted photographs on Instagram that appeared to show injuries to her face and body.
“I hate that it has come to this but I can’t be silent anymore. I’ve allowed someone to destroy my home, abuse me in every way possible and traumatize our kids for life,” Johnson wrote. “I won’t allow the people around him to continue to silence me and continue to lie to protect this person.”
Bridges’ arrest came shortly after the Hornets extended a qualifying offer to the restricted free agent, who averaged 20.2 points per game in last season, the fourth in his NBA career.
World Cup News
/ 6 hours ago
Germany coach Hansi Flick will keep his job and lead the team to Euro...
/ 9 hours ago
Luka Modric said before arriving in Qatar that this World Cup would likely be...
/ 10 hours ago
Spain arrived in Qatar with grand dreams of winning a second World Cup, fully...