Barcelona have signed the son of their former Brazilian star Ronaldinho for their Under-19s team, the Catalan club announced on Thursday.
Striker Joao Mendes, 18, has joined the club’s youth system, 15 years after his father departed Camp Nou.
Ronaldinho, widely adored for his attacking talent and skill, joined Barcelona from Paris Saint-Germain in 2003, a year after winning the World Cup with Brazil.
The forward won two La Liga titles and the 2006 Champions League at Barcelona, before leaving to join Italian side AC Milan in 2008.
Mendes trained with Brazilian side Cruzeiro’s youth teams until last year, when he rescinded his contract.
The forward had been on trial with Barcelona over the past few weeks before agreeing a deal with the Catalan side, of an unspecified length.
Ronaldinho, 42, played in former Barca defender Gerard Pique’s “Kings League” competition last weekend in Barcelona.
World Cup News
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...
Update: World Cup 2026 to feature 12 groups of four teams
The expanded 2026 men’s World Cup in North America will start with 12 groups...
Argentina goalie auctions World Cup gloves for $45K for cancer hospital
The gloves worn by Argentina goalkeeper Emiliano “Dibu” Martinez in the nail-biting penalty shootout...
Football/ 2 months ago
Messi says World Cup trophy ‘called out’ to him
Lionel Messi won the World Cup because the sparkling solid gold trophy picked him...