Olympic chiefs on Tuesday recommended the return to competition of Russian and Belarusian athletes as individual neutrals, but refused to give a timeline on their potential participation at next year’s Paris Olympics.
IOC president Thomas Bach said the IOC Executive Board had recommended to international federations and international sports event organisers that “athletes with a Russian or a Belarusian passport must compete only as Individual Neutral Athletes”.
German Sports Minister Nancy Faeser reacted immediately, calling the recommendation a “slap in the face” for Ukrainian athletes, who she said “deserve the solidarity of international sport”.
“International sport must condemn Russia’s brutal war of aggression in no uncertain terms. This can only be done with the complete exclusion of Russian and Belarusian athletes.”
Among other IOC recommendations — which Bach said were agreed unanimously, the IOC said “teams of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport cannot be considered”.
Also missing out will be “athletes who actively support the war” as well as “athletes who are contracted to the Russian or Belarusian military or national security agencies”.
Bach reiterated that the sanctions against “those responsible for the war, the Russian and Belarusian states and governments”, must remain in place, having first been introduced after Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
That means that Russia and Belarus are unable to organise an international sports events on their territory.
Additionally, “no flag, anthem, colours or any other identifications whatsoever of these countries displayed at any sports event or meeting, including the entire venue” and “no Russian and Belarusian government or state official can be invited to or accredited for any international sports event or meeting”.’Appropriate time’
Bach, speaking after the executive board meeting in Lausanne, said a decision on athletes from Russia and Belarus taking part in Paris 2024 and the 2026 Winter Olympics, however, would be taken “at the appropriate time”.
“The IOC will take this decision at the appropriate time, at its full discretion, and without being bound by the results of previous Olympic qualification competitions,” Bach said.
“We want to monitor the implementation of these recommendations as long as possible… to be enabled to take an informed decision.”
The board, he said, “did not consider it appropriate to give a timeline… no one knows what’s happening tomorrow or in nine months”.
Bach added that the “participation of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport at the Olympic Games Paris 2024 was not considered either in the consultations or in its deliberations today”.
“The IOC expressly reserves the right to decide about their participation at the appropriate time, even if they would be considered to have qualified according to the qualification criteria set by their respective International Federations (IFs).
“The IOC will closely monitor the full implementation of these recommendations by all parties concerned.
“The results of this monitoring procedure will be an important factor in the decision by the IOC concerning the participation of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport in the Olympic Games Paris 2024 and the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026.”
More than 300 active and former fencers had earlier called on Bach, who won Olympic fencing team gold in 1976, to uphold the ban on Russian and Belarusian athletes.
The FIE, the world fencing body, ruled this month to allow Russian and Belarusian fencers to return to international competition, becoming the first Olympic sport to reopen its events to athletes from the two countries.
In a hard-hitting letter, the fencers accused Bach and the interim president of their federation, Emmanuel Katsiadakis, of prioritising Russians ahead of Ukrainians and dismissed the notion of neutrality, saying “athletes were and will be instrumentalised for Putin’s propaganda”.
World Cup News
Football/ 3 weeks ago
World Cup 2026 teams to be based in ‘clusters’: Infantino
Teams at the expanded 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico...
Football/ 1 month ago
Qatar spends big to beat post-World Cup blues
Months after hundreds of thousands of football fans packed into its hotels and stadiums,...
Football/ 2 months ago
US, Mexico to jointly bid for 2027 Women’s World Cup
The United States and Mexico will bid to co-host the 2027 Women’s World Cup,...
Football/ 3 months ago
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...