Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has been handed an eight-game ban after he barged a referee during his side’s FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Manchester United last month.
The Serbian international was shown a straight red card for pushing Chris Kavanagh after the official awarded a penalty and dismissed Fulham’s Willian for deliberate handball on the line.
Fulham manager Marco Silva was also shown a red card at the time and will serve a two-game ban.
Silva’s men were leading 1-0 at the time of the red cards, but went on to lose 3-1 at Old Trafford.
On top of an automatic three-match ban, Mitrovic was handed another three games for violent conduct towards a match official and further two for using language that was “improper, abusive, insulting and threatening”.
The 28-year-old accepted the latter charge, which also came with a £75,000 ($93,000) fine.
Mitrovic said last week that he regretted his actions and had spoken to Kavanagh to apologise.
He served the first match of his ban in Fulham’s 2-1 defeat to Bournemouth and will remain unavailable until the Cottagers face Southampton on May 13.
World Cup News
Football/ 3 weeks ago
World Cup 2026 teams to be based in ‘clusters’: Infantino
Teams at the expanded 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico...
Football/ 1 month ago
Qatar spends big to beat post-World Cup blues
Months after hundreds of thousands of football fans packed into its hotels and stadiums,...
Football/ 2 months ago
US, Mexico to jointly bid for 2027 Women’s World Cup
The United States and Mexico will bid to co-host the 2027 Women’s World Cup,...
Football/ 3 months ago
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...