Former world number one Daniil Medvedev will headline the return of elite men’s tennis to China after a Covid-enforced break of four years, organisers said on Wednesday.
The Russian, winner of the US Open in 2021 and a two-time Australian Open runner-up, will play at the ATP Tour’s Zhuhai Championships on September 20-26.
Zhuhai Championships officials have also been in “fruitful” talks with other grand-slam champions and top-ranked players, the ATP said. More star names will be announced “imminently”.
Another ATP event will take place in Chengdu, in the southwest of China, at the same time as the Zhuhai tournament.
Those are followed by the China Open in Beijing starting in late September, before the prestigious Shanghai Masters in October.
“I’m really looking forward to coming back to China and playing at the Hengqin International Tennis Center,” the 27-year-old Medvedev, now third in the world, said of his Zhuhai debut.
“I can’t wait to see the city and the stadium, both of which I have heard a lot of good things about.”
Australia’s Alex de Minaur won the first edition of the competition in Zhuhai, near Hong Kong, in 2019.
The women’s WTA Tour said earlier this month that it too will return to China this year.
International sport is making a return to the country after authorities dropped strict travel restrictions imposed because of the pandemic.
World Cup News
Football/ 3 weeks ago
World Cup 2026 teams to be based in ‘clusters’: Infantino
Teams at the expanded 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico...
Football/ 1 month ago
Qatar spends big to beat post-World Cup blues
Months after hundreds of thousands of football fans packed into its hotels and stadiums,...
Football/ 2 months ago
US, Mexico to jointly bid for 2027 Women’s World Cup
The United States and Mexico will bid to co-host the 2027 Women’s World Cup,...
Football/ 3 months ago
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...