No evidence was found to support sexual harassment allegations
The Malta Football Association announced that it had been notified by its Safeguarding Board that they had found sufficient evidence to support the allegation of improper conduct against former national team coach Devis Mangia.
The Italian coach was relieved of his duties last September after two national team players reported him of improper conversation. He was immediately suspended, pending an investigation, and the case was referred to the police.
The former Malta coach has denied all claims of misconduct.
The Malta FA launched an inquiry and referred the case to the safeguarding officer who was tasked with investigating the allegations made, gathering information, and compiling a report about the case.
A decision on the claims made against Mangia was submitted to the MFA on Thursday and was made public by the local governing body of football.
In a statement, the Malta FA said that no evidence had been found to support the allegations of sexual harassment against Mangia.
“The Safeguarding Board of the Malta FA has today notified the decision in relation to claims that had been levelled against former national team coach Mr Devis Mangia,” the statement said.
“The Board did not find sufficient evidence to support the allegation of sexual harassment. The Board did not find sufficient evidence to support the allegation of grooming.
“The Board did find sufficient evidence to support the allegation of improper conduct.”
The Safeguarding Board said that Mangia will be temporarily suspended from any football activity in Malta until he enrolls to a course on professional boundaries.
“The Board decided that Mr Mangia shall be temporarily suspended from participating in any football activity in Malta until he enrols to a course on professional boundaries, which he must complete within six months,” the statement said.
“The course chosen needs to be approved by the MFA Safeguarding Board. A motivated decision will be sent to the parties in due course. The decision may be appealed.”
Mangia stepped down from his post of national teams’ head coach in November and the Malta FA has since then appointed Michele Marcolini as his successor earlier this year.
Mangia was appointed Malta national team head coach in 2019 and has overseen a rare positive streak in Malta’s national football team performances, lifting the team from 184th in the FIFA World Rankings to 169.
The Italian had signed a contract until December 2023.
Devis Mangia was legally represented by Dr Giannella Caruana Curran and Dr Charles Mercieca.
World Cup News
Football/ 2 weeks ago
World Cup 2026 teams to be based in ‘clusters’: Infantino
Teams at the expanded 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico...
Football/ 1 month ago
Qatar spends big to beat post-World Cup blues
Months after hundreds of thousands of football fans packed into its hotels and stadiums,...
Football/ 1 month ago
US, Mexico to jointly bid for 2027 Women’s World Cup
The United States and Mexico will bid to co-host the 2027 Women’s World Cup,...
Football/ 3 months ago
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...