Jonathan Debono is on the verge of joining Hibernians, the Times of Malta can confirm.
The 37-year-old announced earlier on Wednesday that he would be leaving Balzan FC after just one season and would continue his career with another Premier League club.
The veteran goalkeeper attracted the interest of three Premier League clubs but it is Hibernians who won the race to secure his signature.
In fact, sources have told the Times of Malta that the former Sirens goalkeeper was in advanced talks with the former Malta champions and only a few details remained for the transfer to be completed.
Debono had joined Balzan FC at the start of this season and for much of the campaign, he was a regular in the Reds starting XI.
In fact, he made 18 appearances with Balzan this season and managed five clean sheets as he helped the team to secure a place in the UEFA Conference League qualifiers this summer.
Earlier on Wednesday, Debono issued a statement to bid farewell to Balzan.
“Thank you to Balzan FC for the past season,” the 37-year-old said on his social media.
“Thank you goes to my teammates, coaches, president, committee, staff, and supporters.
“A positive experience, achieving the club’s target and also playing 18 games.
“Ready for a new challenge!!”
World Cup News
Football/ 3 weeks ago
World Cup 2026 teams to be based in ‘clusters’: Infantino
Teams at the expanded 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico...
Football/ 1 month ago
Qatar spends big to beat post-World Cup blues
Months after hundreds of thousands of football fans packed into its hotels and stadiums,...
Football/ 2 months ago
US, Mexico to jointly bid for 2027 Women’s World Cup
The United States and Mexico will bid to co-host the 2027 Women’s World Cup,...
Football/ 3 months ago
Morocco says joining Spain-Portugal 2030 World Cup bid
King Mohammed VI of Morocco announced on Tuesday that his country had joined the...