Badminton player Matthew Abela has been confirmed as the second Maltese athlete to form part of the Maltese contingent at the forthcoming Olympics in Tokyo, the Maltese Olympic Committee announced.
Abela, who has been competing in the sport since a very young age, will be the first Maltese athlete to compete in the sport of Badminton at the Games since their introduction in 1992.
He has built considerable international experience having been based in Denmark for a period of time. He regularly visits the country to train and compete in events there as well as other events in the European Badminton Circuit.
“It is truly an honour for me to be representing Malta at the forthcoming Olympic Games,” he said.
“I am very much aware of the responsibility that comes with such a selection and the hard work that has been put in so far will continue with so much more motivation.”
Abela’s participation was also made possible through the IOC Tripartite Commission (invitation places) which offers National Olympic Committees the opportunity to apply to send top athletes in their respective sport who have not managed to qualify.
Shooter Eleanor Bezzina was also recently selected by means of this programme.
“The news that Matthew Abela was selected to be part of the Maltese Olympic Committee’s contingent for Tokyo 2020, is more good news for us especially since this is the first time that Malta will be represented in the sport of Badminton,” said Julian Pace Bonello, president of the Maltese Olympic Committee.
The 2020 Summer Olympic Games are scheduled to take place in the Japanese capital, Tokyo, between July 23 and August 8.
World Cup News
/ 4 weeks ago
World Cup hosts Qatar announced Friday that national coach Felix Sanchez had been let...
French Sports Minister Amelie Oudea-Castera on Friday accused Argentine players of being “inelegant winners”...