The Malta Executive Committee will discuss the possibility to reopen the transfer window so that Premier League clubs will be able to sign overseas players who were plying their trade in Ukraine and Russia on Thursday.
Earlier this month, FIFA announced that Ukrainian football players can be registered outside of a transfer window following an amendment to the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players (RSTP).
FIFA said the amendment is temporary and is aimed at providing aid to Ukrainian clubs and players who have been affected by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The FIFA statement added that clubs will be allowed to register a maximum of two professional players under this amendment.
Since that announcement was made by the world governing body of football, Maltese top-flight clubs explored the possibility of bringing in new foreign players ahead of the start of the third and final round of the BOV Premier League.
Sources have told the Times of Malta that initially, the Malta FA decided that Premier League clubs would discuss the matter and later take a decision. In fact, the matter was discussed in a meeting held by the Malta Professional Football Clubs Association.
During the meeting, representatives from the 12 Premier League clubs discussed two proposals on the matter.
The first proposal said that all 12 Premier League clubs would have the opportunity to sign one overseas player coming from Ukraine. Representatives of the clubs were unanimously in favour of this motion.
On the other hand, the second proposal on the table divided the clubs in discussion.
According to MFA rules, every Premier League club can have 12 overseas players registered in their squad.
The proposal said that only those clubs who had less than 12 foreigners in their squad by the end of the January transfer window could bring in a new foreign player.
Here, the motion passed by six votes to five.
Now, the matter has been passed on to the Malta FA Executive Committee who will make a final decision on Thursday.