Ħamrun Spartans have verbally agreed a fee with Birkirkara FC over the signing of Malta international forward Luke Montebello, the Times of Malta can confirm.
The Spartans have been looking to strengthen their squad ahead of the start of the season and have been on the lookout of bringing to the club established Maltese players.
The Spartans identified Montebello, who has two years left on his contract, as their main objective as they are looking to strengthen their forward line ahead of the start of the new season.
Sources have told the Times of Malta that the Spartans have been engaged in talks with Birkirkara for the Malta international.
An initial offer for the towering striker had been rejected by Birkirkara but talks resumed on Friday and a fee has been verbally agreed between the two clubs for Montebello.
The transfer is likely to accelerate in the coming hours as the necessary paperwork will be prepared by the two clubs before the deal will be sealed.
Personal terms between Montebello and the Spartans is not expected to be a problem and the player is expected to put pen to paper on a three-year deal.
Montebello has been on the books of Birkirkara since 2017 and has established himself as a key member of the first team squad.
Last season, Montebello made 22 appearances with Birkirkara and scored 12 goals as the club finished fifth in the Premier League standings.
World Cup News
/ 2 hours ago
The Croatian football federation said Tuesday FIFA had opened disciplinary proceedings after Croatia fans...
/ 2 hours ago
A “united” South Korea will be fired up by a burning sense of injustice...
/ 3 hours ago
Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on Tuesday blamed “invented stories” for fuelling rumours of division...
/ 4 hours ago
Kalidou Koulibaly sent Senegal into the World Cup knockouts for just the second time...